The Amesbury Meetinghouse
Amesbury Friends Meetinghouse
A group of Friends first met for worship in Amesbury in 1705 on Friend Street. In 1851 the present Meetinghouse was completed. It is in the Greek Revival style and is on the National Register of Historic Places
John Greenleaf Whittier
Amesbury Meeting’s best-known member is John Greenleaf Whittier. Whittier, the famous poet, and social activist served as the clerk of the building committee that supervised construction of the Meetinghouse. A plaque on the end pew of the meetinghouse commemorates Whittier.
Our Fellowship Room has been used to host weddings, meetings, and other community events. To inquire about use of the Meetinghouse, check the availability on our Events Calendar; then read Guidelines for Use
The Amesbury Friends Meetinghouse is handicapped-accessible which not only serves our Sunday worship attendees but allows the Meetinghouse to be a community resource.